HOW TO BUILD THE BEST SKIN CARE ROUTINE?
by Tess Mathiote | May 07, 2021 | 6 min read
There is not "one ultimate skin care routine," but one skin care routine that works for you. It may take some trial and error to find the perfect beauty routine, but starting with recommendations based on skin type and concern is the best place to begin.
Social media has introduced us to so many options and trends, from cold plunging to a 10-step regimen, it can be hard to navigate. At this point we’d be willing to apply serum in a toga by the light of a full moon in order to recapture the glowing bouncy skin of our youth, but in reality, the best thing to do is start simply.
There are 3 basic steps to starting a skincare routine: cleanse, treat, moisturize. You can find a lot of extras when it comes to things like essences, toners, double cleansing products, sheet masks, weekly and monthly additions. But to get started, stick to a routine of cleanse/wash, treat, moisturize so you can find what works best for you. There is a 4th step to add and we will call it “protect” – everyone, regardless of age or skin type, needs to wear broad spectrum SPF daily to protect skin.
RESPECT THE RIGHT ORDER TO APPLY PRODUCTS
After doing the research and spending your hard-earned dollars on skincare products, the last thing you’d want to do is undermine their effectiveness. Usage is important whether it’s how much to apply of each product, or what order they go in. Does eye cream go on before or after moisturizer? Typically, it is recommended to apply formulas from thinnest to thickest consistency so that they penetrate the skin. For example, serums are thinner than creams and oils.
HOW TO APPLY SKIN CARE PRODUCTS FOR YOUR MORNING ROUTINE
To get the most out of your routine, it’s important that products are applied in the right order. The texture of the products, weight and active ingredients all affect how efficiently products work on your skin. During the day it is recommended that you apply products in the following order:
- Cleanser: can be oils, gels, creams, or milky formulas that remove dirt, oil and in some cases makeup from your skin so that it leaves skin completely clean after use.
- Toner: These are usually fluid, water-like formulas meant to remove excess dirt and oil and help balance skin pH levels.
- Serum: highly concentrated, lightweight formulas that do the heavy lifting in a routine, thanks to smaller molecules that are absorbed deeply into layers of skin.
- Eye cream: skin under the eye is thinner and more delicate than the rest of the face, so eye creams target the specific concerns there: dryness, darkness, bags, lines, wrinkles, and more.
- Moisturizer: the skin care all-star! These can come in the form of creams, gels, lotions, or milks and will be hydrating and replenishing moisture in the skin. Oily or dry, everyone needs a moisturizer!
- Sunscreen: the ultimate skincare MUST HAVE. Many studies show that biggest factor in skin aging comes from the sun. There are a lot of numbers and terms like “chemical vs. physical”; Sunscreens can be a spray, lotion, powder, or gel. Do your research to find out what your preferences are but regardless of age or skin type, everyone should apply a broad-spectrum SPF daily.
HOW TO APPLY SKIN CARE PRODUCTS FOR YOUR NIGHTTIME ROUTINE
As we sleep our body goes into major repair mode. This is when your skincare can do some additional heavy lifting for you, and you can use more powerful ingredients (like retinol) since there isn’t any sun exposure. For a nighttime routine recommendation, you’ll see some of your daytime products make a second appearance, with some added helpers. At night, it is suggested to apply your products in the following order:
- Serum and treatment
- Eye cream
- Spot treatment: these are not for use all over the face, but instead for specific concerns, acne treatments, brightening options for hyperpigmentation, or neck creams.
- Face oil: Facial oils have really had a glow up in the past few years; they can be sourced from some natural sources (nuts, fruits, plants and more) but they are really amazing hydrators because they penetrate deeply into skin.
KNOW YOUR SKIN TYPE
Every person has a genetic skin type. Most people are born with smooth, firm, blemish-free skin. It is important to remember that things like sun exposure, stress, and humidity can affect your skin.
As we each age, external factors (extrinsic) combined with our genetic predisposition(intrinsic) and hormones around the time of puberty, will begin to reveal our true skin type. Some people have balancedskin with no special concerns until the natural aging process starts. However, it is much more common to have one of the following 3 skin types:
KNOWING YOUR SKIN TYPE
STEP 1. Cleanse and dry your face and leave it bare for 2 hours.
STEP 2. Press a piece of blotting paper against your nose.
- If there is no oil, tightness or flakes, your skin is normal.
- If there is no oil but your skin feels tight or flaky then you have dry skin.
- If there is oil on your nose and cheeks, you have oily skin.
- If you have oil on your nose but not your cheeks, then you have combination skin.
THE BEST SKIN CARE ROUTINE FOR BALANCED SKIN
Lucky you - your skin is balanced! (some people say “normal” but all skin is “normal”) You are likely not to have visible pores, blemishes, and your moisture and oil levels are well balanced. Stick to basics that won’t irritate your skin or get too aggressive.
|AM||Clean Biotic||C Scription Brightening Serum||Hyaluronic Facial Cream||Liquid Sun Shield|
|PM||Clean Biotic||Triple Active Retinol||Hyaluronic Facial Cream||NNM- Wrinkle Smoothing Cream|
|Extras||Microdermabrasion (1-2x weekly)||Oxygen Facial Flash Recovery Mask (2-3x weekly)||24/7 Retinol Eye Cream (AM&PM)||PNM Pore Refiner Primer (AM)|
THE PERFECT REGIMEN FOR A SENSITIVE SKIN
Skin sensitivity can come from your genetics in the form of rosacea, eczema, and even severe allergies. When triggered, sensitive skin may react by showing signs of dryness, flakiness, or bumpy rashes. Always consult with you doctor if this is you, and stick to gentler formulas without aggressive active ingredients.
|AM||Clean Biotic||C Scription Brightening Serum||Cool Biotic||Liquid Sun Shield|
|PM||Clean Biotic||C Scription Brightening Serum||Cool Biotic||NNM No more Baggage|
|Extras||Radiance Resurfacing Foam (1-2x weekly)||DNA Triple Peptide Eye Cream (AM&PM)||Magnetight Age-Defier (alternate with RRF)|
THE BEST SKIN CARE ROUTINE TO GET RID OF DRY SKIN
As we age, our skin naturally loses moisture, so dry skin is among the most common of concerns. Irritated skin is often misdiagnosed as dry skin. Truly dry skin is evident all over the face due to a loss of moisture. Opt for more gentle products, like a cream cleanser versus a gel cleanser, and products that will help maintain your skin’s barrier.
|AM||Clean Biotic||C Scription||Cool Biotic||Liquid Sun Shield|
|PM||Clean Biotic||C Scription||NNM No More Baggage||Hydro Biotic|
|Extras||Radiance Resurfacing Foam (1-2x weekly)||DNA Triple Peptide Eye Cream (AM&PM)||Magnetight Age-Defier (alternate with RRF)||PNM Pore Refiner Primer Luminizer (AM)|
THE ULTIMATE SKIN CARE ROUTINE TO GET RID OF OILY SKIN
Oily skin is caused by overactive sebaceous (oil-producing) glands. While oily skin can be frustrating, it is typically the skin type that appears to age the slowest. A common misconception is that oily skin doesn’t need to be moisturized; this is completely false! Actually, lack of moisturization could contribute even more unwanted oil production. Look for purifying products that help clean out pores and lightweight moisturizers so that they don’t feel too heavy on the skin.
|AM||PNM Pore Purifying Cleanser||24/7 Retinol Eye Cream||PNM Mattifying Hydrator||Liquid Sun Shield|
|PM||PNM Pore Purifying Cleanser||24/7 Retinol Eye Cream||Triple Active Retinol||NNM 3D lip Plumpfix|
|Extras||PNM Pore Dermabrasion (1-2x weekly)||Vacuum Cleaner Mask (1-2x weekly alternate with Dermabrasion)||PNM Pore Refiner Primer (AM)|
THE BEST SKIN CARE ROUTINE FOR COMBINATION SKIN
This is the most common skin type and can be addressed by creating a skincare regimen that focuses on bringing balance back to the skin - you may have to mix products to target specific areas of concerns. And don’t forget to exfoliate!
|AM||PNM Pore Purifying Cleanser||C Scription Brightening Serum||Cool Biotic or Mattifying Hydrator||Liquid Sun Shield|
|PM||PNM Pore Purifying Cleanser||C Scription Brightening Serum||Cool Biotic or Mattifying Hydrator||NNM Wrinkle Smoothing Cream|
|Extras||Microdermabrasion (1-2x weekly)||24/7 Retinol Eye Cream (AM&PM)||Radiance Resurfacing Foam (1-2 weekly)||Vacuum Cleaner Mask (1x2 weekly)|
THE BEST SKIN CARE ROUTINE TO PREVENT AGING SKIN
Aging skin is affected by internal and external factors. In addition to what happens biologically (loss of elasticity, decreased collagen production) the sun is the biggest factor in skin aging so always be diligent about your SPF. Look for products with staple anti-aging ingredients like peptides, antioxidants, and retinol.
|AM||Clean Biotic||DNA Pearl transforming Serum||DNA Time Defying Cream||Liquid Sun Shield|
|PM||Clean Biotic||DNA Pearl transforming Serum/ or Triple Active Retinol||DNA Time Defying Cream||Neck Scultping Cream w/Gua Sha tool|
|Extras||Microdermabrasion (1-2x weekly)||DNA Triple Peptide Eye Cream (AM&PM)||Magnetight Age Defier mask(2-3x weekly)||NNM- Wrinkle Smoothing Cream (AM&PM)|